Sign up to our newsletter
Keep up to date
Courses for families who have children with autism
Session 1 – Understanding autism
The aim of this session is to give an overview and to give an insight into the effect autism can have on the individual and the family. We will look at strategies to support the child.
Session 2 – Developing communication skills and using a visual approach
The aim of this session is to consider the communication skills in relation to autism, covering the development of language, understanding key words, simplification of language and how to use Makaton signs and symbols to support the child. There will also be an opportunity to make some visuals to use at home.
Session 3 – Sensory differences
The aim of this session is to provide an introduction to the sensory differences encountered by children with autism and how they affect their ability to make sense of the world. Strategies and changes to the environment will be suggested to support the child’s sensory needs.
Session 4 – Developing social skills
The aim of this session is to explore the implications of social difficulties for the child and how this affects their interactions with family and friends. We will look at the social skills necessary for making friends and sustaining a friendship. There will be an opportunity to brainstorm solutions and share best practice.
By the end of the course parents and carers will have:
- A raised awareness of Autism and an appreciation of the individual’s unique thinking style.
- A greater understanding of the difficulties encountered by individuals with autism.
- Increased knowledge of strategies to support the individual.
- Increased confidence to identify and make changes which will positively support the child.
- Have gained understanding and skills to advocate for their child
Reducing Challenging Behaviour
A workshop for parents and carers who have children with autism
If you have a child with autism, challenging behaviour may be one of the hardest things to manage. At times, it may feel as if it dominates your life. This workshop looks at what causes challenging behaviour in young people with autism and offers practical strategies to help you turn things around.
By the end of the workshop you will:
- Have a greater insight into the reasons for behaviours that challenge
- Know how to recognize early warning signs and defuse challenging situations
- Know some strategies to promote positive behaviour
Have increased confidence when dealing with a child presenting with challenging behaviour